DIY: Churros and Triple Chocolate Split with Hot Chipotle Brittle!
Looking for new ways to up your dessert game?
Here’s one of our personal favourite and a real crowd pleaser that will win you Host/Hostess of the Year when you serve this dessert to your guests!
Each of our 5ℓ tub babies can serve approximately 30 scoops of ice cream. Our recommendation for this dessert would be 2 scoops but hey!
If your guests love their chocolate ice cream, there’s no rule to stop at 2 either!
Recipe to Churros and Triple Chocolate Split with Hot Chipotle Brittle —
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3 pax
Ingredients for Churros making:
1 cup water, 125g unsalted butter, ¼ tsp salt, 1 cup flour, sifted 3 eggs, beaten Sunflower oil for frying, ¼ cup sugar, ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Combine water with the butter and the salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour.
3. Reduce the heat to low and stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, about one minute.
4. Remove from the heat and, while stirring constantly, gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time. Cover and leave to cool.
5. Heat about 5 cm deep of oil in a heavy, high-sided frying pan over medium/high heat to 180°C.
6. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon on a plate and set aside.
7. Spoon the churro dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
8. Squeeze 15cm strips of dough into the hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time and fry, turning them once, until golden brown, about four minutes.
9. Drain on paper towels then roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
For the extra “Oomph”, make these Brittle & Split too!
1. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
2. Place sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
3. Boil and do not stir until the mixture turns golden in colour.
4. Stir in the chilli flakes. (you may omit this step if it’s too adventurous for your guests’ tastebuds!)
5. Pour the toffee evenly onto the tray.
6. Leave five minutes to harden and cool.
7. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
And there you have it! The perfect dessert to impress.
For plating, place two churros on each plate, top with 2 scoops of Kāpiti Triple Chocolate ice cream, and scatter over the mango and the brittle.
The Cellar Door Guru